Come on in, the water’s lovely.
Everyone from babies right through to their grandparents can practice their front crawl in our well-established swim school. Learn to swim or improve your skills in a caring and safe environment, helped by our expert swim tutors.
Our pool is heated to at least 31 degrees, so no more shivering in the shallow end. We have male and female changing rooms with showers and toilets, and you can watch swimmers from our viewing area.
Our swimming teachers
Our friendly and experienced swimming teachers are all ASA or STA qualified and hold enhanced disclosure checks. Their aim is to help you enjoy the water and to provide a safe and fun environment for you to swim in. They will provide all swimmers with progress reports.
Term dates and prices
Our swim school runs in term time. Our current Autumn 2019 term courses run from 4 September to 17 December, with a half-term break from 28 October to 3 November.
Lessons are paid for before the start of each term. Please contact us to find out more about prices.
Our swimming teachers focus on helping you become a good quality swimmer, not how many lengths you can do.
We run different level classes in the pool, so all of your children can usually do swimming lessons at the same time, whatever their level.
Here’s some more information about our swimming lessons:
- 30-minute lessons with excellent pupil:teacher ratios – everyone gets the attention as they need.
- Qualified poolside lifeguards in every lesson.
- Teachers stay in the water until swimmers can swim five metres (Swimmer 1 class).
- Read our full swim school terms and conditions here.
- Group classes (3 months – 3 years): In these classes you swim with your baby or child. Through play, games and songs, learn to feel comfortable in the water and lay a foundation for future skills. Wednesday AM, Friday PM, Sunday AM.
- Private lessons: Private 1:1 (or one to two) tuition is available for children and adults. Our private lessons are perfect for nervous swimmers, or those who want help with a specific stroke or more dedicated attention. You can book a one-off session or a longer course. Sunday 12.30–4pm, additional times available in school holidays.
So that our classes that are pitched at the right level for all swimmers, we make sure we’ve found the right swim level for you or your child before classes start.
- 3 months to 4 years: we allocate swimmers into ‘Adult and Child’ or ‘Preschool’ groups depending on ability.
- 4 years + Children join our ‘Non-Swimmer 1’ class until they’re confident and comfortable in the water, then they move into our ‘Non-Swimmer 2’ group where they learn to swim. Once children can swim they move up through our groups, up to our Advanced 2 class.
Our swim teachers assess all children who are new to swim school but not absolute beginners, to decide what class they should join. You can also read our Find your swim level guide to find out more about each type of class and help us to find the right level.
The benefits of swimming
Did you know…
- Confidence – Swimming is a great confidence builder, helping children and young people become body confident and develop belief in their abilities and in their social skills, especially as part of a team.
- Endurance – Swimming will help to build yours, or your child’s muscles and lung capacity, as well as provide the strength of character to push further and endure longer.
- Balance – Our bodies have to maintain a streamline, horizontal body position when we swim, so swimming regularly can help children develop and improve good balance.
- Intelligence – Holding your breath can increase your intelligence. Professor Win Wenger says that whenever you start to give attention to any awareness of stimulus, you hold your breath, and your breath is a pace maker for your attention span, so the longer you hold your breath the more you can take in. Swimming, he says is THE best exercise for building lung capacity, which enables you to take in more information.
What to find out more about the benefits of swimming? Click here.